On the afternoon of February 14, 2018, one of the deadliest mass shootings in U.S. history took place at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Broward County Florida, claiming the lives of seventeen victims. Amidst the horror, there were many brave teachers, administrators and students who sacrificed their own safety to protect their students, colleagues and classmates. Among those who lost their lives courageously trying to save others were three brave men; cross country coach and geography teacher Scott Beigel, assistant football coach and security guard, Aaron Feis, and wrestling coach and athletic director Chris Hixon.
In honor of these valiant men, the Orange Bowl Committee (OBC) created the Orange Bowl Beigel-Feis-Hixon Valor Award. This prestigious award was designed to salute an outstanding South Florida student-athlete exhibiting valor and courage in the face of adversity.
This annual award will include a $10,000 scholarship distributed over four years, contingent upon the student-athlete remaining in good standing with his or her corresponding college or university.
Eligibility Requirements For High School Senior Student-Athletes:
- Student-Athlete must be located in the South Florida area (Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach)
- Identifiable actions, which clearly demonstrate extraordinary courage or commitment
- The person must have exemplified the strength of human spirit by demonstrating one or more of the following five attributes of courage:
- Choosing to act in the face of adversity
- Standing up for principles and values
- Expanding one’s horizons beyond the familiar
- Persevering through suffering with dignity or faith
- Must not be receiving a full athletic scholarship
- Minimum overall 2.5 GPA
Please Submit The Following Information With The Nomination Form:
- The completed and signed nomination form by the Friday, April 28th deadline
- An official high school transcript showing the most recent course work
- Can be emailed directly from your school to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A letter of recommendation from a school representative (i.e. coach, teacher, counselor) attesting to the student’s character, scholastic & athletic accomplishments, highlighting any adversities faced and/or obstacles overcome
- Student Essay (500 words or less)
- Nominations are due 5:00PM, Friday, April 28th
- A panel of judges will review the nomination materials and select the most outstanding candidate
- Recipient will be notified